2 Months Before
- Sort through the contents of closets, drawers, and cupboards to weed out what you don’t want or need. Hold a yard sale, or donate unwanted items to charity.
- Inventory everything of value you plan to move and determine replacement values for insurance purposes.
- Obtain estimates from several moving companies and choose one
6 Weeks Before
- Finalize real estate or rental needs.
- If moving out of town, make travel arrangements.
- Notify your children’s schools of the move and contact new schools for enrollment information.
- Obtain copies of school records, or have them sent to new schools.
- Obtain copies of medical records for each family member.
- Ask doctors to recommend doctors in your new community.
- Consult insurance agents to find out if changes to policies are necessary
1 Month Before
- Alert utility companies to disconnect services the day after you move and to have new service activated several days before you arrive at your new house. Contact the chamber of commerce in your new town for information on utility services.
- If necessary, arrange for storage in your new community.
- If you’re packing your house yourself, order supplies and start packing boxes.
1 Week Before
- If you’re packing your house yourself, finish packing boxes.
- Confirm travel arrangements, if needed.
- Arrange payment or deposit for movers.
- Get cash to have on hand to tip movers.
- Write directions to your new home for the moving company, confirm delivery date, and give the company your itinerary and cell phone number.
- Complete change-of-address forms at the post office, and send notices to magazine subscriptions, creditors, friends and relatives, alumni organizations, credit cards, banks, and any other necessary companies and organizations.
- Cancel newspaper subscriptions.
- Notify your employers — new and old — of your new contact information.
- Clean rugs and have them packed for moving.
- Obtain health certificates from your vet for pets traveling by air.
- Pack suitcases you plan to move yourself with clothes, toiletries, jewelry, and important financial records and documents.
- Pack your first-night box.
- Accompany the mover as he or she inventories your possessions and makes condition reports.
- Sign the bill of lading (ensure that the address and phone number are correct) and inventory, and keep your copies in a safe place.
- Lock windows, turn off lights, close doors, and take a final tour after the movers have finished to make certain nothing is left behind.
We know how hectic things can get when you are planning a move, so we have made a moving timeline checklist to help make those days and months leading up to your move more manageable.
Get A Free Quote